Union Jack


Hi guys, for this post a blue mani with Union Jack accent nail! I came up with this look about a year ago, when I started dreaming of my own nailblog but didn't have the courage yet to go through with it. My first attempt was freehanded with my tiny paintbrush and the result was okay. But now that I've discovered the tape technique I wanted to do this mani again with tape, hoping for a neater result. But no... I've put a lot of time and effort in this little accent nubbin, it was a real pain in the ass and the final result isn't even that better than when freehanded. I stopped using tape after I'd done the flag's white parts, the red is drawn again, as you can see my lines are still a bit wobbly. But next time I might as well freehand the whole from the beginning, because with cutting and placing the tape, plus drying time, using the tape technique takes a lot more time then freehanding.

The blue base color is Barry M's Cobalt Blue, a nice, vibrant two-coater. The white is - as always - Essence Stamp Me! White, the red is from Catrice and also the one I used for the Mickey accent nail-mani. Though this design takes a lot of time to make, I do think it's worth it, and you only have to do one nail (or two) anyway, so why not.

If you guys want to recreate this look and might need some help, feel free to let me know if you want me to make a tutorial. Good night!

12 comments

  1. This is awesome! I know what you mean - I have pictures from the days I was only dreaming of having courage to blog them :) I'm so glad you decided to share yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this..esp as im from the uk- this rocks! hugs to you hunny as always!

    /hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't really see the difference between the red and white :) I think it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely do a tutorial! I'd love to be able to replicate this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute mani, I can see how this design can be hard -there is no wayy I'd have any patience for it. Good Job!

    Love your blog, I'm a new follower

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a new follower too and love this mani! So inventive! I included it in my round up if you want to take a look :)
    http://nail-newbie.blogspot.com/2011/04/march-round-up.html

    Hx

    ReplyDelete
  7. *hyperventilates* this is my fave mani. ever. at all. #1 fave. I haaaaaave to try this!!! any hints for making it any easier?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would LOVE a tutorial on this!

    ReplyDelete