Vintage clouds


Hi guys! For this post I have another request to show you. A little while ago I received an email from a reader who wanted me to come up with a funky mani for her informal dance soon. A few colors she liked were teal and coral, so I combined them in this "funky clouds" look. I like how simple this design is to achieve. Just pick three matching colors, one for you base color and two for the cloud shapes on top. The clouds are made by applying three strokes of polish next to each other, each smaller than the one before. My tip is to leave enough polish on the brush (but not too much!) so that when it touches the surface it will leave a nice, round dot as start point. This doesn't even need a lot of precision and you can just use the brush from your polish for this. And that's it :) Though I would advise using a fast drying top coat afterwards if you don't want to wait too long for your nails to dry, after all it's three coats of polish. (Four if you include base coat.) I like the way it looks here with plain cremes, but for a more festive look, a layer of (iridiscent) glitter can be added.

Below you can see the same look with China Glaze Midnight Kiss on the tips, which I made first. But after I took the pictures I noticed how Bella matched the rest of the polishes better so I just redid everything, for your viewing pleasure haha. Have a great night!

The polishes I used:
Essence - What Do U think? Version 1 (It looks less orange in real life)
China Glaze - For Audrey
Essence - Bella

35 comments

  1. This is so beautiful, how did you create this? Please do a how to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girls! Glad you like it ^^

    @Christine: I've described how I made these in the text but I will also post a tutorial soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colour combos. I love how you did the clouds. It seems so much harder than just applying 3 strokes but your application is flawless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both colour combos! They look so cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I love this manicure design. You have such beautiful graphic ideas. I love their simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. Love the colours used!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great look! I love the colors and the creme finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so cute! Love the colours that you picked for both manis!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super duper cute and it sounds easier than it looks, thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was lurking in some sites about manis and eventually i gotta here.
    Your tutorials were pure inspiration and so i was thinking ( i don´t know if you already did this because i still didn´t look at ALL your posts, but,) if you already tought about cutting some tape with those art scissors with patterns to make some fun mani. I have three of them, zig zag, lace(? don´t know the exacte word for that) and a cute one that looks like your clouds.

    Well, i'll be coming here sometimes. =)

    Nice work!! Congratz!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really have to try this! Maybe it could be done with a large dotting tool as well?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Erg mooi! Ik wil dit ook eens proberen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OO so retro. Love it. May try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks so great. Blues with orange are a great colour scheme. I can't believe that is just freehanded...Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is fantastic that you did all those freehand. I was about ready to cut some tape out! :P I really like the color scheme, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice! Seems not too hard to pull off too, i'm going to try this one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cudnt resist to give it a go!! http://wigwamnotteepee.blogspot.com/2011/11/barry-m-nail-varnish.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks very great :) i love colorful clouds <3 i following you :) nasli_

    ReplyDelete
  19. absolutely love this!! i really like it with midnight kiss but :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is probably one of my favourite manis ever.

    The design is lovely, but the colour combination is what makes it for me - it was superbly chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, I'm going to try this! Super creative!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! you are too creative....I love color combination.I think it a unique thought to design clouds print on our nails.I am feeling happy to see your post. Thanks for sharing this information with us.....

    ReplyDelete